COLI Inc, DBA: Chain O’ Lakes Internet reserves the right to modify it’s acceptable use policy as required.
Chain O’ Lakes Internet’s purpose is to contribute to the educational, recreational, governmental, and economic development in Northern Michigan. To assure reliability and security of our network, we have established a set of standards for user conduct.
All subscribers of Chain O’ Lakes Internet must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy.
Failure to abide by this policy may result in termination of their access with no refunds of service fees.
Failure may also result in additional charges to cover costs of damage to equipment, repair costs of all network and computing systems, labor, and any value of network bandwidth consumed by unusual loading.
Failure to abide by Chain O’ Lakes Internet Acceptable Use Policy may result in other charges not mentioned above.
Our definition of “Virtually Unlimited” means un-metered Internet access. Chain O’ Lakes Internet reserves the right to limit a users amount of time on the Internet per session and per month and to impose an automatic disconnection if the user is inactive for a period of time. ‘Virtually Unlimited’ Access does not mean that you will never encounter a busy signal. Virtually Unlimited access requires your connection to be attended
Service Plans for Customers that offer unlimited minutes of PSTN calls (“Unlimited PSTN Plans”) or unlimited faxing are for reasonable business use of Customer only. Such use shall not include certain activities including, but not limited to, any auto-dialing, continuous or extensive call forwarding, continuous connectivity, fax broadcast, fax blasting, telemarketing (including without limitation charitable or political solicitation or polling), call center operations, junk faxing, fax spamming, calling/faxing any person (through the use of distribution lists or otherwise) who has not given specific permission to be included in such a process or any other activity that would be inconsistent with reasonable business usage. Customer will not use the Services to send unsolicited commercial e-mail to recipients outside Customer’s organization. Customer shall not transmit through the Services any unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, indecent, or otherwise objectionable communications or material of any kind or nature. Customers further agree not to transmit any material that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, violate the intellectual property rights of others, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international statute, regulation, or other law. Any use found to be inconsistent with this restriction will result in termination of the Services. COLI Inc reserves the right to immediately terminate or modify the Services of any Customer using Unlimited PSTN or fax Service Plan if COLI Inc determines, in its sole discretion, that Customer is not using the Unlimited PSTN or fax Services Plan for Customer’s reasonable business use.
Acceptable Use Policy:
All subscribers of Chain O’ Lakes Internet MUST respect the privacy of other users.
Users shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data, or passwords belonging to other users, or represent themselves as another user.
Users are to respect the legal protection provided by copyright and license to programs and data.
Users are to respect the integrity of computing systems.
All subscribers shall not re-sell or give any aspect of any service obtained from Chain O’ Lakes Internet to another individual or business. All Wireless Access Points are to be secured or engineered in a way that only individuals within your business or home can receive the wireless signal. Any violation of this will be grounds for immediate termination of the service.
Users shall not intentionally develop programs that harass other users or infiltrate a computer or computing system and/or damage or alter the software components of a computer or computing system.
The Following Policies and guidelines will be applied to determine whether or not a particular use of Chain O’ Lakes Internet is appropriate:
(1) The intent of this policy is to make clear certain uses which are consistent with the purposes of Chain O’ Lakes Internet, not to exhaustively enumerate all such possible uses.
(2) Chain O’ Lakes Internet may at any time make determinations that particular uses are or are not consistent with the purposes of Chain O’ Lakes Internet.
(3) If a use is consistent with the purposes of Chain O’ Lakes Internet, then activities in direct support of that use will be considered consistent with the purposes of Chain O’ Lakes Internet.
(4) Malicious use is not acceptable. Use should be consistent with guiding ethical statements and accepted community standards. Chain O’ Lakes Internet may not be used in ways that violate applicable laws or regulations. Use of Chain O’ Lakes Internet, or any network in a manner that precludes or significantly hampers its use by others is not allowed.
(5) Connections which create routing patterns that are inconsistent with the effective and shared use of the network may not be established.
(6) Unsolicited advertising is not acceptable. Advertising is permitted on some mailing lists and news groups if the mailing list or news group explicitly allows advertising. Announcements of new products or services are acceptable.
(6) Unsolicited Email advertising is not acceptable (Spam). Email Sending unsolicited mail messages, including, without limitation, commercial advertising and informational announcements, is explicitly prohibited. A user shall not use another site’s mail server to relay mail without the express permission of the site.
(7) Chain O’ Lakes Internet may discontinue or refuse any of its services, at any time, to any customer or potential customer. If the customer did not violate any of the terms listed above or below, they will receive a pro-rated refund. (Contracted services not included) We will not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, national origin, religion, profession, age, mental or physical handicap.
Becoming a subscriber of Chain O’ Lakes Internet constitutes acceptance of this policy statement.
The right to determine which specific practices are considered acceptable and which are not, are reserved for Chain O’ Lakes Internet.
Free email accounts can only be used for members of the same household as the account holder.
The first month’s fee is non-refundable under any circumstances.
All payments made, is a contract for the invoiced period.
If Service is Cancelled before contract expires, then COLI can determine if non-refundable credit can be applied to the account for other services.
Chain O’ Lakes Internet is not responsible for any telephone charges users may incur.
There is a $15 fee for all returned checks.
There is a 12% transaction fee for refunds.
Monthly fees will not be pro-rated.
Chain O’ Lakes Internet will make reasonable efforts to provide continuous, uninterrupted, expedient and error-free service. Nonetheless, it should be understood that temporary interruptions of the service may occur as normal events in the provision of the service or when we perform routine maintenance to the service and we may modify or discontinue the service at any time without giving advanced notice. It should be understood that Chain O’ Lakes Internet has no control over the networks, facilities or services of third parties, and that delays and disruptions involving them are completely beyond our control.
You, as the customer, must pay for the charges of your Internet service, including monthly rates in advance, applicable installation charges, and fees as listed on the Rates and Product Listing. It should be understood that the charges, taxes, fees, terms and conditions may be modified from time to time. Once you have been notified of such a change, you may continue the service if it constitutes your acceptance of the agreement laid out in the Acceptable Use Policy.
When entering into an agreement for Internet services with Chain O’ Lakes Internet, it is assumed that you will be providing us with accurate, complete and current information on how to bill you, as the customer.
It should be understood that you, as the customer, may incur charges, including taxes, for which you are solely responsible, from other Internet or on-line services, telecommunications service providers or providers of other goods and services which you may purchase or subscribe to.
Chain O’ Lakes Internet in no way, shape or form solicits your e-mail or personal information to any company, charity or organization. Your information is strictly confidential and will remain so indefinitely.
Broadband Customers do have a soft total bandwidth cap of:
10 gigibytes per month for Residential Economy
20 gigibytes per month for Residential Bronze
50 gigibytes per month for Residential Silver
70 gigibytes per month for Residential Gold
20 gigibytes per month for Small Business Economy
40 gigibytes per month for Small Business Bronze
100 gigibytes per month for Small Business Silver
140 gigibytes per month for Small Business Gold
40 gigibytes per month for Large Business Bronze
100 gigibytes per month for Large Business Silver
140 gigibytes per month for Large Business Gold
Chain O’ Lakes Internet reserves the right to bill at a rate of no more than $10 per gigibyte of traffic passed above the cap in any given month.
Maintenance plan policies:
All COLI Maintenance Plans are for over the phone or in our office repair and support. It does not include on-site repairs. Those are always billed at our normal hourly rates, unless otherwise stated in a written and signed contract between COLI and the customer. Plans and Pricing are subject to change at anytime without written notice. If a price or plan changes, the customer has 30 days from the receipt of the first changed bill to cancel. COLI reserve the right to deny a Maintedialupnance Plan for any customer/equipment at any time for any reason.
Dialup Internet Plans are limited to 400 hours per month.
When you enter into a relationship for Internet services from Chain O’ Lakes Internet, you agree NOT to:
1. Violate any law or regulation, including material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property rights;
2. Post or transmit any message, data, image or program that is obscene, indecent, pornographic, sexually explicit, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful, fraudulent, deceitful or otherwise may offend others;
3. Impersonate another person;
4. Damage our name or reputation;
5. Break security on any computer network or to access any account which does not belong to you;
6. Operate a client server center without our written permission;
7. Interfere with the service or its use by any customer, including, but not limited to, introducing and/or intentionally transmitting files containing harmful code and/or viruses or worms, or any other destructive features on the Internet, mail bombing, flooding, use which overloads the service and broadcast attacks;
8. Although you have no obligation to screen communications or content provided by the Service, Chain O’ Lakes Internet may monitor the content on the Service and may disclose any information required to comply with any law, regulation or governmental order or to protect ourselves or other Customers. We may refuse to post, or may remove any material or information that, in our sole discretion is unacceptable, undesirable or in violation of this Agreement. We may suspend or terminate the Service to you, or suspend or terminate any user ID, electronic mail address, URL or domain name which you use in connection with the Service, if your use of the Service is in any way inconsistent with this Agreement or otherwise violates this Agreement;
9. We cannot assign your Service account to anyone without your express written consent. Upon reasonable notice, we may assign your rights and obligations under this Agreement;
10. As our Customer, you agree that you are at least 18 years old and have the ability to sign binding contracts. As our Customer, you are executing this Agreement on behalf of everyone who will use the Service through your computer or with your account or password and you are solely responsible for any resulting violation of this Agreement. You are solely responsible to ensure that they understand and will comply with this Agreement. You shall also agree that you cannot resell the Service or otherwise charge others to use it.